slings?

danaoh(SWOhio zone 6)July 24, 2006

I am sure this has been answered somewhere. I did a search but still not clear. First year Bird House Gourds. I have quite a few little ones on my vines- should I pinch some off to go for quality not quantity? Also, shouldn't they be supported while hanging on the vine in some way? Some kind of sling so they won't fall off?

Thanks - so glad I found this forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
genepa

Hi Danaoh, Whether to pinch off or not is a hard question. It depends on the overall vigor of your vine, whether its being stressed by dryness, bugs, disease, etc. Bird house gourds are fairly large and going for quality over quanity is definitely desired. You're in the same zone as I am so you want to also consider whether new ones forming will have enough time to mature, or will they draw nourishment from the ones on now. I would definitely not let any more start. I hope this is at least a little help. When you say they are hanging from the vine now, I assume they are on a trellis of some sort?? If the trellis or whatever is strong enough you won't need any support. I've had bird house and goose neck gourds that were fairly large and never had any fall from the vine. Good luck. Gene

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 12:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mogardening(5b)

I've used panty hose as slings for the really big ones. If the stem looks like it may break from pressure, stockings are the trick.
Kate

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™