stem blight on vinca minor (periwinkle/myrtle)

dlhein(5)June 30, 2010

My beautiful 3-year-old patch of vinca minor got a nasty fungus a month or so ago. It was beautiful,full and healthy and I didn't realize what was going on under it until it had really gotten bad. Now I've lost a lot of it and am still losing it. I've been pulling the infected parts out, and I put fungonil on it 2 times in the past 2 weeks. It may be slowing down a little, but I'm still yanking infected stuff out. I have some areas that still look pretty good. It's gotten kind of dry here in NY. I don't want to lose the good stuff, but I also don't want to encourage the fungus. Should I water or not? If yes, should I wait until it starts to look a little wilted, or will I have waited too long if I do that. Also, has anyone ever gotten a bad case of fungus on vinca and gotten rid of it and eventually the whole patch looked full and healthy again? I'm sick about this. If I do get it back, should I use a fungicide as a preventative measure in the cool, wet weather of spring and fall? How dry can I let a well-established patch of vinca get without losing it?

Thank you.

More Discussions
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™