Cucumber Beetles...Arrrrrg!

penmac1July 26, 2006

Can someone tell me how to get rid of these pests? I do NOT use pesticides and have been out there everyday catching these mennis of the vines. I am going away for a couple of weeks and I need to save my babies before I go. I'll take any ideas you can give me...PLEASE! :0)

TIA

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mogardening(5b)

Oh I know how that goes.....They were all over my garden last year. I easliy had 20 to 30 Cucumber Beetles on every blossom. I had always been organic in the past but finally had to resort to Seven Dust. They were eating everthing. This year I changed a few things. I put my gourd plants out later, made many yellow plastic traps coated with tanglefoot paste, planted the right kind of Marigold. I have tried marigolds in the garden for years with no luck. Finally I read the hybrid marigolds had the smell bred out of them, no wonder they didn't work. I planted African Marigolds, Tagetes erecta and boy do the stink! It's wonderful! I have seen very few beetles this year. I still go out a kill what I see by hand but I maybe killed 5 tonight. I am also trying a recipe for a organic spray that I found on another garden forum. It does kill them but I've had so few this year that I've only used it a couple of times. But this is the recipe: Add 1 teaspoon of dish soap(not aniti bacterial) to a quart of warm water. Add 1 1/3 ounce of Neem Oil, 2/3 ounce of Karanja oil and mix well. It will look milky. Add this to 1 3/4 gallons of water, mix. You now have 2 gallons of spray solution.Pour into a sprayer of any type and spray on the plants, undersides, stems and ground. It may also be used as a soil drench. Use 7-11 day intervels, 4-5 times a season. At this ratio it is also good as a fungicidal application. I also dicovered squash bugs on my egg gourds the other day. I put neem meal around the base of the plant and boy, they took off running. I also sprayed them with this solution and I didn't see any tonight.

Here is a link that might be useful: NeemResource.com

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™