Groundcover in shrub bed...suggestions please!

rhaine86(Zone 8a)June 10, 2005

Hi all- I have a mixed shrub border on all sides of my house. It comes out about 3 feet from the house. Planted there are mostly red barberry, magic carpet spirea, and blue star juniper. Several hostas were also planted but one particular side gets almost full sun and the hostas were getting scorched so they were moved. I now have several bare spots I need to fill! The area was a bit cramped before so I am wanting a ground cover to go under and around the bushes rather than trying to replace the hostas with something of equal size.

I am looking for something low to the ground, slow growing is great, flowering optional but I would prefer something other than red. Am I being too picky here?? Or is there something that may work for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freebird(z5/6PA)

Silver Edge Pachysandra is a beautiful ground cover. It is slow to establish, though. It took three years for mine to fill in.

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 8:35AM
dirty_knees_il(ZONE 5)

maybe some decorative strawberries..they won't climb up the schrubs like some ground covers. pretty pink flowers in spring

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 11:19PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Rhaine,

For a light, airy, flowery look, how about creeping baby's breath, Gypsophila repens in either pink or white. It'll be a mat of tiny flowers when it's blooming in early to mid summer, about 4" high when blooming, and xeric when established, so it won't need much water by next year.

Or for something that's incredibly easy to take care of, how about a collection of all different sizes and colors of Hen & Chicks, Sempervivum. They come in everything from tiny to large ones, and all shades of green and green/red/pink combinations. I like the "cobweb" kind (arachnoideum) that look like they're covered with webs, and another favorite is the one called 'Icicle', which has a totally frosty look. Few flowers, but they, too, are xeric and will virtually never need to be watered--even right after you put them in. Here's a picture showing 3 varieties side by side.

Have fun deciding what to use,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Hen & Chicks

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 1:29AM
rhaine86(Zone 8a)

Thank you for the variety of suggestions, it gives me so much to work with! I will look into them further.

Also- I didn't know there were so many varieties of hen & chicks!!! I don't normally like them, but I hadn't seen the purplish ones that have that frosty look-- they look really different.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 1:50AM
More Discussions
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™