Annual/Perennial to plant in August

souppeggy(z8GA)July 23, 2010

We presently have our house on the market to sell and need to keep the landscape looking good. My annuals haven't done well in this drought and need to be replaced by something that can handle the sun and drought. However, I still need to keep the landscape looking good in this slow market....WHAT CAN I DO? How do these landscaped shopping centers, office complex's keep their entrance's looking so beautiful through out the four season's? I'm sure they have to replace those plants that just don't make it through the season.

Please give me names of some plants with color that can take planting this time of year.I really do appreciate your idea's on this subject. Thank You

Peggy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Here in north MS if you can find zinnias, they are great for sun and dry weather, this time of year. Also lantana or pentas. I am also seeing perennial hibiscus (h. moscheta?) the variety called luna in the stores like lowe's or home depot, but it likes moisture so you would have to water it. Of course you should water all new plantings until they are established. You might find dwarf crape myrtles which are perennial. Canna lillies will bloom in summer but like water.
Here in the Tupelo area, where there are seasonal plantings like in front of the mall, they change them out each season. In the spring there are beautiful tulips, I think they have zinnias now or daylillies. Can't remember all seasons, but they do change them out. And they have irrigation built in so they get watered.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™