Brass Buttons

anniepfJuly 29, 2009

I have Brass Buttons planted in my garden in Puyallup, WA and it is spreading like wildfire! It is growing right up to and around all the perennials in the garden and I am wondering if this will be a problem or if I should just leave it be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ptilda(3/4)

You could always send it to me! :) I'm looking for something like this to put into my flagstone patio I'm making, to fill in between the rocks.

Personally, I've never dealt with this plant, but I would think that with plants like daylilies, iris and hosta, or others with a thicker base, it should be no problem. But you might want to watch any that have less substance to their roots and stems, in case it strangles those.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 4:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It is so low growing, it will not be a problem crowding out any larger growing perennials. And like most creeping, mat-like groundcovers, it is pretty easy to remove where not wanted.

I doubt one would have great success with this plant in zone 3/4. While it is alpine in origin so supposedly tolerant of cold, hardiness in zone 4 is dubious and it certainly wouldn't be evergreen. Most sources list it to zone 5, others zone 7.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™