under the sea fantasy

linda_leaf z10fla(10A Florida)May 23, 2010

The big freeze did a number on some of my front yard plants, so we took most everything out of this flower bed and created an 'Under the Sea Fantasy'. I must say that our whole house is decorated with everything from the sea, so it was a good choice to do a sea fantasy. The seahorse was created by my DH. We bought ficus repens (creeping fig) plants and put small portions into the moss filled frame. They are just planted and need to fill out. We also added eyes after this picture was taken.

The plants are mostly succulents all chosen to look like corals and sea grasses. We still have lots of special things to add including a starfish topiary on a big rock, sea shells, and fantasy fish.

It has taken a lot of work to get this far and there is still much more to do, but I am so excited to just get this much done!

Linda Leaf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
imagardener2(9-10)

Linda
Your topiary is FAB-olous. Your husband is so talented, how did he create the frame? Is it metal? Tell us more please.

what an interesting theme.

Denise

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 4:57PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

That seahorse is truly amazing, your husband is very talented. I can't wait to see your yard down the road.

Tom

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 5:57PM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

Love the seahorse, too!
Marcia PA/FL

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 6:53PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Linda, your sea fantasy theme is sure to turn heads. Sounds like so much fun! Love the whimsy. Please show us later on when things are more mature. You've got a great start. Thanks for sharing, you've got me thinking!

Anna

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 7:30PM
coffeemom(Broward z10)

Butterflygardener sent me this link years ago. I thought I saved it but couldn't find it..... until now. Anyway I thought you might find it interesting.

Oh and I also love your seahorse!

Here is a link that might be useful: undersea gardens

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 1:37PM
linda_leaf z10fla(10A Florida)

coffeemom,
That is exactly where we got our inspiration to create our garden! Of course we couldn't use the same plants in the picture you posted as that garden is in Southern California. We tried to find Florida plants that are similar to those in your picture. Most plants are doing very well. Squirrels and aramdillos have been a problem. It is a lot of fun creating this sort of theme garden.
Linda Leaf

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 3:03PM
mocropot

Linda, that is such a great idea your garden and the seahorse is just absolutely amazing. What plants are you using in your bed?

Helen

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:45PM
katkin_gw

Looks great!!! I love the sea horse too.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 6:57AM
coffeemom(Broward z10)

Do you have the "sticks on fire" euphorbia? If you were closer I'd let you have mine. Who knew that little pot of plant could get so huge. It looks like something from under the sea.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 10:30AM
zoo-katie(FL10)

Hmmm where could I do this I have a large pile of boulders that will eventually become a waterfall maybe there

Coffeemom loved that link

I want a seahorse lol more pics please love it!

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 2:04PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

That is an awesome seahorse. Great idea!! This is my favorite link for Sea Bed Succulent coral reef garden. This one really rocks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Bed

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Can Silver Buttontwood be used as espalier in a Belgium Fence design
Dear Florida Experts, I just pulled out 60 feet of...
caribbeancupcake
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Mosaic Wall - yet another garden project...
Lots of people saw this project in it's very early...
solstice98
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™