Where do you get your grasses?

hrm8879May 1, 2006

I am new to the joys of gardening with ornamental grass and am having trouble finding specimens in my area. I have purchased Maiden Grass Adagio, sweet flag and corkscrew rush (I know that last two aren't really even grass)

I have looked in some catalogs, but the plugs that they are selling seem so small. I don't want to wait 20 years for a good sized clump.:)

Any suggestion on where to purchase would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Believe me, within a year or so, those little plugs will be lovely good-sized clumps, as long as you plant them in full sun. Of course, if you can find locally, you get a larger plant without paying postage.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 12:06PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

As watergal says, locally is best. But since local choices are usually limited to more popular grasses, mail order is a good option. Two online sources with extensive listings and plants of high quality and larger sizes are earthlypursuits.net in Maryland and bluestem.ca in British Columbia. Another source is the Magic Garden in upstate NY (magicgardenplants.com); their offering is small but selective, and their plants perform very well.

There are many other online sources that I have tried, mostly with success; email me if you need. You also might look around your area for OG gardeners to see if they have any newly divided grasses. I tend to avoid the "Big Box" stores, as the provenance of their plants is from nurseries in much warmer zones than mine.

If your interest in OGs is strong, I suggest you get yourself a good book on the subject. For my money, Rick Darke's "Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses" is the best (a book I often consult and find myself still reading an hour later).

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 12:46PM
dawgie(z7NC)

I have purchased most of my ornamental grasses at local nurseries. However, most nurseries don't have much variety, so I recently ordered some prairie dropseed on-line from a nursery in Wisconsin that specializes in prairie plants. The grasses arrived in very good condition, just starting to grow, and were very inexpensive -- less than $4 each.

http://prairienursery.com/store/

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Sponsored Products
Balia Rug 7'9" x 9'9" - IVORY
$599.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Olive Kids Tea Party Multi Colored 19
$11.97 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Knot Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Kichler Sedo Modern Contempo Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Joanne Classic Teak Swing
Signature Hardware