mixing creeping ground covers

ELTMJuly 21, 2014

I have an area in my front yard that is bordered on all sides by our front walk and front porch. (In other words, aggressive, creeping ground cover will be completely contained.)

I'd like to mix creeping jenny (love!) with pholox and/or creeping thyme.

I'm wondering if any of these plants will choke out the other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Not a good idea to mix different forms of groundcovers in the same planting area.....you will just end up with a big mess. Growth rates are different for different species so one will always tend to take over to the detriment of another, especially if they prefer different growing conditions, as your choices do. Best to just pick your favorite (or you can go with a couple different selections of the same plant if you prefer) and let it take over. And if you DO choose to pick a couple different varieties of the same plant - e.g., different creeping thymes - plant them in separate swatches rather than intermingling them.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I agree that it is almost impossible to keep a balance among various groundcovers, as they vary too much in their vigor, heights and responses to every factor.
I have used Mazus reptans and Ajuga in the same area if I constantly pull out the rampant Ajuga. My rock garden is constantly in a state of flux as one groundcover begins to dominate another.
Huge, uncontrollable swaths of Periwinkle are on the property, and a concentrated digging and rooting it out only makes a temporary difference. But I notice the taller, more refined, and hardly evergreen Epimediums seem to slowly dominate the Periwinkle.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
ajuga over Daffodil bulbs?
I am getting conflicting information about whether...
pink_petals
Spreading succulent groundcover advice?
We recently bought a house and are finally tackling...
sweetverve
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™