Soil depth for Mother of Thyme

witeowl(5)July 7, 2008

We're digging up our cruddy Reno dirt (sandy/rocky) and replacing it with topsoil in preparation for spreading ground covers. While we're doing four inches in most areas, there's a disagreement for the spot where Mother of Thyme is going (Thymus s. coccineum). I say we still do four inches, she she says only two inches is adequate.

Can anyone help settle this?

(Yes, I know, it sounds insignificant, but every inch adds up. This is a rare case where I'd be happy to be wrong.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

The deeper the better especially if it rocky soil, water will not be retained so go with 4" and you will not have to water as much.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 8:02PM
gardengal48

Actually, the thyme will do very well in your existing "cruddy", sandy/rocky soil, providing that soil drains well. Thymes and other herbs with Mediterranean origins (lavender, rosemary, oregano, etc) are low water or xeric plants native to areas that tend to have very lean, rocky soils with excellent drainage and prefer those kind of conditions over soils that are overly fertile and moisture retentive.

Personally, I'd save the better soil for areas that are going to accommodate plants with deeper roots and fussier preferences :-)

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 10:24AM
witeowl(5)

Thanks to both. I did a little more googling and found exactly your point, gardengal, that thyme wants drainage. So it's getting two inches of soil, the "proper" flower bed is getting extra soil, and my back and shoulders are a bit grateful that I didn't have to pick/shovel as deep this morning.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™