Evergreen Groundcover that Grows Down Wall

sophiescottagegardenJuly 2, 2010

Hi there, I'm just a beginner gardener trying to landscape my small older imperfect 1950's cottage. I have a raised brick bed along the front of the home probably 3-ft high X 20 plus-ft long. It's in front of my bedroom and bathroom windows and it's been damaged by water falling off the roof, chipping and discolored bricks.

I would like to plant something that will grow down the wall, stays green all winter, and grows very fast. I really like Juniper groundcovers and I'm curious if they would work. I'm trying to hide the damage on the brick.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sophiescottagegarden

I meant to mention that I'm in Oklahoma City, zone 7a, and the raised brick bed gets morning-midday full sun.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:44AM
simcan(z5b/Toronto)

That is a tall order. I like the creeping junipers too, but they are the opposite of fast growers and a three-feet cascade would be a long time coming, if ever. If the damage is just along the top, it could work but again, it won't be fast. I would go for an ivy like Hedera helix. It won't be invasive in your zone, I don't think, but it won't be invasive in your application, period, because it will never set seed.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:41PM
koicool1

I would not plant ivy if i were given it! You will not be able to get rid of it once you have it, not to mention it is ugly!

what about wintercreeper or creeping phlox? two completely different looks to choose from.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™