Creeping Jenny Devastation

Curmudgeon10July 19, 2011

We have (er, had) four areas of vigorous creeping jenny that has been highly satisfactory for 6 or 7 years. Yes, it must be picked and controlled to prevent spreading beyond the desired area. I do it with a string trimmer.

This Spring, for the first time ever, small catepillars starting going through the plants. We killed the critters, but even where there were no catepillars (2 of the 4 areas), the plants have just "shrunk"; the leaves are about one half or less than the size of a vigorously growing plant --- this has allowed weeds to grow, which pretty much defeats the entire purpose of a ground cover.

Does this cultivar have a "life span?" Does anyone know what might be happening? I see no alternative but to dig up these patches and start over. Ugh.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

On the Perennials forum someone else mentioned this happening. I don't have any idea what it is eating them at your place.

I don't think it has a life span, but is due to the munching. It also likes moisture & prefers rich soil.

It didn't grow so well for me in the shade in one bed, but when I moved it to an area richly amended with compost in more sunshine it took off like crazy. Then I went back to that 1st bed to amend more with compost & it's covered it as well. Could be the vine weevils in that 1st bed died down. I don't know if vine weevils attack it or not, but I know there were vine weevils in the 1st bed nibbling on the rhodie & the 'Wanda' Primrose.

Maybe if you pull the weeds, add a lot of compost, it will spread again for you to fill in.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Spreading succulent groundcover advice?
We recently bought a house and are finally tackling...
sweetverve
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™