groundcover for flagstone pathway

clarkgardenJuly 4, 2011

I've recently done some work to my mother's flagstone pathway that she put in a few years ago. I removed all of the weeds as well as grass from the lawn that had overtaken a lot of the path. Now we are looking into redoing the path by redigging it, adding more sand, changing out broken stone, as well as adding a groundcover plant that will help keep the other weeds and grass out. The path is in direct sun for most of the day. I've looked into creeping thyme varieties as well as Irish Moss, which seems to be a nice pick but which makes more sense? Is it better to buy the plant or the seeds? We also have a nearby birdfeeder; are the birds likely to eat the seeds if we choose that route?

Any help would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I am looking to replace Irish and Scotch moss and Corsican mint with something else. They aren't reliably evergreen for me. Not sure if they rot out or what but winter kills them back so far every year and I have to start over. Love the look, hate their growth habits or lack thereof...

I'm looking at Elfin Thyme and I will be buying plants not seeds. I have no patience for seeds and most groundcovers spread really well so you don't need a ton of plants...

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

'Georgia Blue' Veronica ped... is lovely in all seasons of the year here & for me grows about 8" tall flopping a bit. It doesn't like to dry out, but it does like good drainage, so not sure if it would work for your area.

Thymes are excellent, but need to be carefully weeded until established into a carpet. Takes precision fingers to do it, but it can be done. The dense top holds a bit of moisture & I find weeds germinating right inside it, but they're easy to pull.

The bird seed might be the source of those weeds...

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
ajuga over Daffodil bulbs?
I am getting conflicting information about whether...
pink_petals
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™