Advice for removing Rubus pentalobus

LinelleJuly 28, 2012

In April 2011, I had my lawn removed and front yard contoured and planted with drought-resistant plants. I worked with a landscape designer who came up with all the plants. I was unfamiliar with many of them at the time. Now, into my second summer, I'm thrilled with the results and really love 90% of my plants.

The one I decided I dislike is Rubus pentalobus. I think it's plain ugly. Fortunately, I only have two (not contiguous) and they haven't spread that much--yet. They certainly want to spread! I've been trimming them back around their edges, but think I'm gonna dig them out.

Any pointers for removal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Just dig 'em up. Nothing special about removal.

Sorry you don't care for the plant...... creeping raspberry is perhaps my favorite type of groundcover. And easily the best I've ever encountered on weed suppression.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 6:36PM
Linelle

gardengal48, thanks for the response! One of the plants is in an area that gets a little shade and it's much nicer, greener. The one I can't stand is getting a lot of sun and just looks nasty.

The thing is, I really don't need to cover the ground too much. My yard is small and I don't mind a few open areas between plants. I wondered if digging them up was difficult, because I read somewhere that they could be tenacious, with all the below-surface runners. I think I'll put a Phormium Amazing Red in its place.

Thanks again for your help. I can see where these guys would be very good for weed suppression. I've got a pretty good drip system and it hasn't been too hard to keep weeds at bay.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 6:45PM
mistascott(7A VA)

It does spread via rhizomes as far as I know, but you can just dig them out.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:00AM
gardengal48

It may be just a misunderstanding of what the term means but the rubus is not rhizomatous. It does have the ability to root along the stems as it spreads, but these are equally easy to remove.

FYI, although everyone knows what plant one is referring to when using Rubus pentalobus or calycinoides, the correct botanical name for this plants is Rubus hayata-koidzumii (which is quite a mouthful!)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 4:06PM
mistascott(7A VA)

^Thanks for the clarification. Growers have yet to adopt this updated nomenclature, unfortunately, and still use pentalobus and calycinoides interchangeably.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™