Warm Season Time to Grow

pinnyJune 4, 2005

My Huron Sunrise is two years old. So far there is no new growth. What would be the latest date for it to start showing new growth? Thanking you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_lover(z5a IA)

I've read that warm season grasses should be growing when the corn is coming up... but I've also read where you should give them time to wake up before getting rid of them. This year I had a Hameln that wasn't showing any signs of life and dug it around the first of June. There wasn't any white roots like when you transplant a living plant from a pot ~ the roots were brown or tan but I went ahead and gave it a temporary spot in the vegetable garden although I really think it's a goner. :(

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 3:28PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Warm season grasses should be showing growth by now at varying rates.

grass_lover: Hameln never flourished in my zone 5a garden, so I dug it up and planted it in my Dad's zone 6 garden where it is doing well. I think zone 5a is "iffy" for most of the Pennisetums.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:53PM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

I know BruMeta, but I love the fountains too much to give up on them. We actually had a zone 6 winter last year and my Moudry and full sized fountain grasses both lived. I think I lost the Hameln from the clay it was planted in since it had a large clay ball attached to the roots.~~ It might be looking for trouble, but I mixed in dirt from the garden and planted another one... :) Now all I have to do is cross my fingers!

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™