Id Help......

ckjudd(9b-centralfl)June 14, 2013

I have 2 patches of this in a sunny bed and have had trouble figuring out what type it is so I can care for it the proper way.

This is one of the few plants this newbie florida gardener has yet to indentify. Any and all assistance is appreciated Thanks in advance for any help.

Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ckjudd(9b-centralfl)

another pic..

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:51AM
donn_(7b-8a)

It's hard to tell, but it may be one of the cultivars of Pennisetum purpureum, like 'Prince,' 'Princess' or 'Princess Caroline.' It should be an evergreen in your zone, but it looks like it was starved of water, and some of the foliage died.

If it were me, I'd sit down on a bucket, next to the plants, and methodically trim out the dead foliage. Some of it may just pull out. If it's P. purpureum, it doesn't like pruning much, and this would be the wrong time of year to cut it back.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 5:47PM
ckjudd(9b-centralfl)

Thanks donn.......this is my third spring in florida and second in my own place. These are in a bed that was neglected the first year and I'm finding that most of the things in this bed need more moisture than has been provided in the sandy unamended soil :(.

Again thanks for the help.

Cindy

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabeGardnr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™