Poison Ivy and groundcover

kfless(5)July 27, 2014

I was planning on establishing a groundcover (vinca) under some Austrian pines and hemlocks in my backyard, because I am tired of buying mulch and pulling weeds. Until now there has just been bark mulch under these trees. This year, after a record snowfall and rainy spring, I have been battling poison ivy seedlings everywhere in the backyard, particularly under these trees. I am incredibly allergic and have a 4 year old. A part of me is hesitant to start a ground cover, because I wonder if the poison ivy will love this cover. Also, I might not catch it when it is young, if it has a place to hide. Anyone get a lot of poison ivy in their yard? What did you do to keep it out? Should I avoid planting a groundcover, because of the poison ivy popping up everywhere, or will the cover snuff it out? I tend to think it will benefit from the cover. I just bought this house, so I don't know if this will be a continuing problem or if I just got a lot of it this year, because of the record rain. Any experience from poison ivy experienced gardeners is greatly appreciated!

More Discussions
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Please help with Bugleweed!
I planted 12 small Chocolate Chip Ajuga that I picked...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™