SVB eggs

Sid23July 3, 2013

I spied a squash vine borer moth flitting about my quite small plants today while watering. I found a few eggs on the tops and a couple plants with many eggs at the base. What is the best way of removing them from the base. Can I just scrape them off? Do they need to be collected and destroyed like I do with the Squash Bug eggs? Most of the eggs just fell into the soil as I was scraping them off with my finger. I dusted the base of the plants quite heavily with Sevin's "Worry Free" insecticide dust. I usually have bee hives here and never use any insecticides other than home~made soap spray directly on the offenders. But this year no hives and I may be a bit more liberal with the methods I use. No sign of Squash Bugs yet (planted very late this year in WI due to May blizzard and cold soil temps/too much rain etc.) So I hope the late planting helps with the Squash Bugs.
So do I need to collect these SVB eggs that fell into the soil or will they die away from the plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccabal(7)

when they fall into the ground, I usually scrape away some of the dirt where I think it fell, and put new dirt, or mulch over that area pretty good. That way when the hatch they are covered with dirt or much and will have a hard time finding the plant.
I would think you dusting the area will Sevin should do the trick

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™