I got gourds

wert9wert(z10FL)July 4, 2005

I got about 5 gourds growing so far. Lots of male flowers - half as many female flowers. Biggest gourd is now about two inches long.

This is really fun!!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

We've got lots of bloom, and lots of baby gourds coming on the vines. There are a few that are about 10 inches long. I see bunches of snake gourds and can't wait to see what they will do. This is about our 7th year growing gourds and its still exciting!!

Jan

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 7:55PM
wert9wert(z10FL)

Yesterday morning my biggest baby gourd was as long as my index finger, this morning it's almost as long as my hand.

I don't know if anyone remembers a previous post of mine relating to the mystery of exactly what kind of gourd seeds I had. I thought they were canteen, but it looks like they're bottle gourds - which is all fine and good as far as I'm concerned (this being my first year). I suppose I learned a good lesson - I bought these seeds from someone on Ebay. From now on I'll buy from reputable seed growers.

Got a book "The Complete Book of Gourd Craft". It's very inspiring.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 7:24AM
DapperDahlia(z6 Pa)

gee mine are only just coming above the ground...am i late?

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 3:05PM
wert9wert(z10FL)

Hey DapperDahlia - Don't forget, I'm in So. Fla where the it's been extremely hot, humid, and raining several times each day. I'm sure you'll catch up ... probably surpass everyone else!

(p.s. my dahlias are about two feet tall with buds)

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 3:32PM
caseyst_sc

In SC, home of heat and humidity, my Corsican bowl gourds and bushel gourds are growing like crazy. At last count I have five bowl gourds that are the size of flat basketballs, dozens of babies, and my bushel gourds are about softball sized now. Every day in every way, they get better and better!

Casey

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 10:29PM
bradisha(Z10 / 11)

First time gourd grower planted seed in April And I have quite a few birdhouse gourds on the vine. I was not sure that they would have grown here ( I Live on an Island) Can not wait to harvest them!!

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Need some answers to Butternut Squash Questions
Hey! So this is my first time growing B. squash, and...
jac15
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™