Groundcover options between flagstone pavers, low water

gaylJuly 14, 2013

I live in Zone 8 and would love suggestions for ground cover for a small patio area that has flagstone imbedded in sand. It has no irrigation. Since we live in the PNW, most of the year that is no problem, but we tend to have drier summers. What would you suggest that could tolerate the rain from September to June, but the dryness of the summer that would look good between my pavers? This area gets good afternoon sun. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

As long as the planting area drains well, you have a lot of options - Leptinella squalida, any of the various creeping thymes, rupturewort (Hernaria glabra), Scotch or Irish moss, blue star creeper, etc. Any of these will need periodic watering this season after planting and occasional irrigation during the driest parts of the summer thereafter but should tolerate the rest of our weather fine.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gayl

thank you for your advice. I can water by hand in the summer, but there are times we are gone and it just won't be watered. Of the options you gave, do you have any favorites? Any plusses or minuses for each? thanks so much!

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™