Another pest???

marshayeagerJuly 21, 2010

I have a new pest? It is rooting around in the pine straw in one of the beds in my woodland garden quite aggressively. The circles are the size of a grapefruit. The last time I saw this much disturbance was when I witnessed the damage done by an armadillo in a garden in Eatonton, Ga. I live in Marietta, and as of yet, don't think I have armadillos. I have lived here 28 years and I have never seen this before. The animal is making large circles every where. I think I have raccoons and perhaps an opossum since something is in my bird feeders at night. Of course I have squirrels, chipmunks and moles/voles and I know what damage they do but this is something I have never seen except for the armadillo. Please help id my new garden friend. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Are the areas dug up, tunneled under, or is it something bedding down into the straw? Maybe if you could post a picture, it would spark an idea.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 12:27AM
bagsmom(7)

pansyface -- I have what we call "ninja squirrels." I'm not sure if squirrels are digging in your beds, but ours make digging marks of that size in our pine straw.

I'm in Marietta too -- I was just driving down Dallas Highway and saw a dead armadillo! I've only seen them further south, up to this point. So -- maybe you DO have an armadillo! (And if you live near Kennesaw Mountain, maybe the dead one I saw was the one who was digging in your bed! Wouldn't that be lucky!?) (Not for the armadillo, of course.......)

:)

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 5:12PM
dalawatson_yahoo_com

Pansyface,

I have the exact same problem. Almost every night, the pinestraw beds in my back yard are torn to pieces by this creature. It's really becoming a problem. The holes are exactly as you have described them. I'm west of 41 in Acworth. Did you ever discover what the problem was?
I included wild turkeys in my suspect list, but I have never seen one in the heavy woods behind our house. The squirrels hang out under the feeder all day long, but don't make this kind of disturbance in the straw during the day. I'm baffled and very annoyed.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 8:06AM
jay_7bsc(8a)

Please watch where you step. This could be something as simple as a feral cat using the leaves as a sandbox and fastidiously covering the letter that he/she posted, circling carefully as he/she tidies up the premises.

Have armadillos actually made it into North Georgia? I know they've been migrating eastward along the I-10 corridor for decades but was unaware they've arrived in Zone 7B. I hope they'll find the Piedmont a hospitable environment.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 10:46AM
frankielynnsie(7B)

I have those circular areas too and they are made by a skunk during the night digging for grubs and such.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™