Fireglow Japanese Maple

jerri_marJuly 28, 2008

We live in Atlanta area and just planted a Fireglow Japanese Maple in May. Have been watering three times a week but just noticed leaf tips are scorched. It's planted in direct sun most of day. Do we need to water more frequently in this 90 degree weather?? Don't want to overwater and will need to get special permission with watering ban restrictions if we water more often. Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dredawg5000(7)

Hi Jerri

Congrats on your new fire glow. I have 2 of them. The leaf scorch is not caused by lack of water. In fact, once or twice a week is all that is needed. If you purchased your tree from a nursery (which one?) it may have been under a protective screen or tree canopy. If so, placing it in full sun may cause some scorch especially on young trees. This is normal.

As the tree ages and develops a more mature expansive root system this will no longer be a problem. Fire glow while holding its color very well in full sun will occasionally loose some of its red color in the heat of July and August.

Cut back on the watering. 2 or 3 times week for the first week or two. Then twice a week for the next 3 weeks. The once a week from then on as needed. Keep in mind to adjust your watering when it rains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maples forum is very helpful.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Rabbit problem
What is the best Rabbit repellent ?
420benz
Sponsored Products
48" Raksha Stainless Steel Japanese Soaking Tub
Signature Hardware
Montego Maple 2-drawer Armoire
Overstock.com
Iannone Design | Rewrite Desk
YLiving.com
Hunter Ceiling Fans Astoria 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 53058