Winter kill on miscanthus

katob Z6ish, NE PaJune 16, 2014

I got tired of picking up broken off miscanthus blades all winter so last fall I cut back several in the fall. Fast forward to this spring and many are struggling to put out a few shoots..... Once they get going they're ok but I've never had them this slow to recover.
So, is it the autumn trim that damaged them or was it the cold winter (lowest temp approx -10F)? .... I didn't think it was THAT cold, plus my arundos are just fine and I would have though they're less hardy.
Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Most Miscanthus cultivars are good to zone 5 and colder, so I doubt it's winter kill. I also question if the fall trim did them any harm, unless possibly you trimmed them before they had gone dormant. Even that shouldn't kill them.

Mine were later than normal coming in this year, also. We had the coldest winter in 10 years, and the coldest weather had no snow cover.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 1:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I was thinking along those same lines, so I'm not sure what happened. It does seem to be only the ones I trimmed in the fall, maybe it was too early a trim for them after all. Some of them really seem to be struggling with only a few sprouts, the one I left uncut looks absolutely fine.... But the arundo I cut back last fall at the same time seems unphased, so go figure.
Maybe next fall I'll try the same treatment on only half and see what happens, but then again slightly different timing, different winter, who knows what that will prove?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™