steep sunny bank

dwcoffeyAugust 20, 2009

Hi Folks!

We have a fairly steep, full sun sloping bank that needs plants! We don't want to cover in grass because it will be a headache to mow and...grass is no fun when we can have things much nicer! The bank slopes down to the edge of our concrete driveway and runs alongside the full length of the driveway, its about 12 to 15ft wide and about 80ft long.

I've looked at Creeping Phlox and possibly wintercreeper, but I think mayb emore variety would be better. I'm guessing that the whole area planted in one plant will not be so nice. I've thought about doing something like maybe an ornamental grass at the top of the slope, then maybe Plumbago and then Creeping Phlox....working from the top of the slope down to the driveway. But that also sounds too predictable and too plain.....so.....I'm looking for ideas....we'd like to have something that is pretty to look at for as much of the year as possible, preferably evergreen, and definitely good at erosion control since this area washes off right over the driveway and down toward the garage. Thanks for your ideas!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

There are so many plants that come to mind. Juniperus squamata 'Blue star', J. conferta 'Silver Mist', Cotoneasters, Juniperus'Blue Forest' and 'Pancake'. Comptonia perigrina, Amelanchier stolonifera,Lathyrus latifolia,Jasminium nudiflorum,Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Lo', and any number of Sedums. Have you considered stones or flat rocks, mixed in.
Certainly not dull or boring.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™