Is it too late to plant?

bellarosa(z5/IL)June 5, 2011

Hi,

I bought a bunch of pennistenum and switch grass with the intention of planting them by the end of May. Unfortunately, we had quite a few cold and rainy days, so I wasn't able to get out and plant the grasses. Now, the weather has moved on to very high temps - 80s and 90s. Should I wait until the Fall to plant everything? The grasses are Panicum, Northwind and pennistenum, Hamelin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

If the plants are quarts or smaller, I'd pot them up and take care of them until the weather cools off.

If they are gallons or larger, you could safely plant them now. Try to do it on cooler overcast days, and be sure to water them every day if they don't get at least a quarter inch of rain. In summer, rainy weather is the best time to plant.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 1:39PM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Thanks so much for the input. They are small plants in 4 inch containers. I just keep watering them every other day or so. I'm going to wait to plant them in the Fall. We've had three days of temps in the 90s. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 4:48PM
donn_(7b-8a)

If you leave them in the small pots, they will be very rootbound by fall. Pot them up to 1-gallon pots, and you'll have larger and healthier plants to plant in the fall. You also won't have to water them quite as often over the summer.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™