cotoneaster dammeri leaves turning brown

adp_abq(7b NM)August 10, 2005

Hi:

I have a cotoneaster dammeri groundcover that over the past month has been turning brown (the leaves). I usually water it deeply every 2 weeks via drip system but have increased to once a week. It gets part shade and was planted last sept. Is this the result of an insect or does it need more water?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower(7)

the picture of the leaf is too dark for me to see anything but a shillouette of the leaf...but it doesn't look like a dried out leaf (there's usually some curling or cupping associated with dessication)

what percentage of the leaves are browning? are they at the tips, or closer to the crown? are there clusters of them, or are they scatterd? what is the texture of them like?

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 11:31AM
creatrix(z7 VA)

I can see the pic- the apex half of the leaf is brown. There is a clean demarkation between the green and brown. The green base shows no mottling or yellowing.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 5:42PM
freebird(z5/6PA)

Lace bugs love cotoneaster, at least they like mine. However, the leaves usually look mottled, not half brown. If you have lace bugs, you can tell by looking on the back of the leaf. There will be brown and black specks, even if the bug has left. Cotoneaster is also very drought tolerant. Perhaps a fungus? I would ask a local nursery, they should be able to tell you.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 8:31AM
nancedar(z7NC)

Cotoneasters also are not overly fond of fertilizers - have you added some there recently?

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™