failing karl foersters

mary-in-torontoJune 28, 2012

I have a group of 3 year old karl foersters. One did not survive the winter; the others have only 5 to 8 stems.They look pathetic. Last year, all were healthy and robust. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

It's hard to say. You're certainly well within their hardiness range, so even a tough winter shouldn't affect them.

Things which can kill or stunt them include not enough regular water, not enough sun and failure to cut them back and rake out the shaved crowns. They like moist to wet soil, full sun and must be cut back in late winter. After cutting them back, they like to have all the leaves and other goop which collects in the crown raked away.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:45PM
denninmi(8a)

Ah, I had a number of grasses with the same issue. They were great last year, very healthy. When spring came around (early this year), many of them were not growing, while others nearby were growing vigorously. I finally got around to cleaning up in early June, and by that time most of them had a few shoots. When I launched into cutting off the old stalks, I discovered immediately what the problem was, voles had chewed/tunneled into the plants right at the crown level, and had shredded a lot of the plant tissue that would have contained the new eyes, and actually made nests in there. From the outside, the plants looked perfectly normal, but at ground level they were destroyed. About a dozen plants affected, all of them have now survived, but some have only a dozen shoots, so basically are starting over from scratch.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 7:35PM
watchnerd

"They like moist to wet soil"

Interesting to hear you say that, as I barely water mine. I by 'barely', I mean once every 4-6 weeks. And they're in blazing full sun, doing great.

Differences in soil water retention, perhaps?

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Sponsored Products
Flower Power Ottoman
| Dot & Bo
Pre-lit Deluxe Fraser Artificial Tabletop Tree
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Occasion Zen Gold One-Light Mini Pendant
$209.00 | Bellacor
Strala Table - Tom Strala
$7,900.00 | HORNE
Moooi | Rabbit Table Lamp
$546.00 | YLighting