Insect on Squash - should I be concerned?

gabrielle2005July 8, 2007

I have a butternut squash with some sort of insect problem. There are neat little rows of black eggs underneath many of the leaves. Today I noticed one of the unopened flowers had a black and white bug crawling around inside of it. At least, I think it had white. Bugs really give me the creeps, so I didn't stick around long to watch it come back. Should I spray some Sevin insect killer on this baby?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iacche(z6 Eastern PA)

Are you sure the eggs were black? Could they have been dark brown? This page has a picture of squash bug eggs, most of the way down the page. They come in a range of colors, from yellowish to dark brown. If that's what they look like, scrape them off and squish them. Here's another page with a pic of squash bug eggs

I don't know of a black and white bug. The worst squash pests I know of are the squash vine borer (a red wasp-like moth that lays single tiny eggs, which turn into larvae that bore into the stem of the squash and kill them -- though I think butternuts are pretty resistant to SVBs, as they are known 'round here). Then there are squash bugs. Then there are striped cucumber beetles, which are about 1/4 inch long, colored mostly yellow and black, with stripes along the wings (though they also come in a spotted form). SCBs can spread Bacterial Wilt, which makes plants wilt and die.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™