replacing dead annuals

souppeggy(z8GA)July 26, 2008

Even though we have had enough rain I have lost some annuals that were planted in a grouping. Can I replant at this time of year or do I pull up and plant again. The soil is not very good and I don't have time to amend it so can you think of an annual that will bloom now as the location is near my front door and I'm putting the house on the market to sale next week so I need a nice entrance. I need some quick advise as a novice. I have noticed at shopping areas that plants are added as they start looking bad. Where do they get the mature plants? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

If the area is sunny or partly sunny, go with annual Vinca. They seem to tolerate the heat. They come in white, pink, hot pink and purple - mixed colors makes for a nice effect.

These days at home depot you cannot even buy the 6 pack of annuals (which you wouldn't want to); you need to buy quart sized ones and they still have some of these. You might want to mix in some of those water retention crystals and definitely mulch around the plants to hold the moisture in. Even so, plan to water about every other day as the next 10 days look hot and dry.

Professionals may grow their own replacements, buy directly from the grower or there are a few nurseries that cater to landscapers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 9:12PM
rjinga

FYI, the "annual" vinca, which I purchased in white, comes back every year, and it spreads all over and is more full than the year before. I guess it reseeds easily. Just an FYI, if you dont want it to return. but a nice return on your investment, if you do want it back :)

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 10:41PM
jmzms(z7 Alpharetta, GA)

What about placing a lawn ornament there? Or a potted plant - as if you were trying to give the effect of height.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™