karl forester grass

jjbjrJune 20, 2009

I have two Karl Forester grasses in front of my house. They are in their second season of growth. I was very pleased how the've developed into these beautiful upright specimens. Well, after continuous rain they have drooped and look lousy. Is there anything I can use to keep them upright through the summer months.I was thinking of tying something around them. Don't want to damage the grasses. I have not used anything other than rain on them. Thanks for any help you could give. jjbjr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I'm having the same problem in my front gardens. Two KFs which were perfect until all the rain. We've had twice the normal rainfall for all of June so far, and they have opened up a good deal. This morning, they were partially flopping, but today was a bit drier and breezy, so they've straightened up quite a bit.

You can tie them up fairly easily, since they tend to be so upright under normal circumstances. I'd stick a couple of thin bamboo rods into the plant, on the upwind side, and use them as the anchors for some soft jute twine which encircles the plants, just below where the blooms begin.

Also, as the blooms open up, go out and gently shake off excess rainwater to lessen the weight.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 6:14PM
jjbjr

donn
Great advice Thanks much
jjbjr

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 7:51PM
sophie12(4)

I have "clump" of "who know's what grass"--gets about 8' tall every year. *tag simply said "assorted grass" when I bought it* I took a large tomatoe cage and cut the legs off, turned it upside down, used the part cut off to make stakes to hold it in place and leave it inplace----no more flopping or falling over on that clump of grass. When the grass fills in, the cage isn't noticed much at all.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 7:47AM
jscaldwell

Is there a wrong time of year to plant Karl? I'm just north of Austin TX, and am interested in doing some fall planting, including about a 1/2 dozen Karls. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 1:35PM
donn_(7b-8a)

The only wrong time in your zone would be in the hottest part of summer and the coldest part of winter.

You can plant them now, and probably have no problems.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™