Yellow Lower Leaves on Gourds

blade-runner(ZONE 8 - Houston, TX)July 3, 2007

I have four hills of gourds which were going gang busters with vines about five feet tall and blooming nicely, but now the lower leaves are turning yellow and disappearing. We've had about three weeks of wet weather, although there has been some sunshine generally every day.

Are my gourds suffering from all the rain or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixiesluvplants(9)

Hi Blade Runner, I also have birdhouse gourds that have lower yellowing leaves and all the flowers are dropping, same with my squash and striped cohash. I was told it was due to all the rain that we have had lately so hopefully wityh sunny weather it will fix itself. I have a gardener friend coming over to look at them as well as some roses and other plants to see if all the rain has damaged them. If you hear otherwise please let me know, I will let you know what my friend thinks the yellowing lower leaves on my gourds are from.

Thanks,
Trina

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 2:34AM
blade-runner(ZONE 8 - Houston, TX)

Thanks, Trina. I noticed a couple of baby gourds over the weekend, so hopefully the plants will recover and produce more. I'm in Kingwood, BTW, and it is now sunny and things are drying out a bit.

Chuck

++++++++++++++++++++++
There are no answers -- only choices.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 2:14PM
rcgsltx

I'm near Ft. Worth. I have been growing gourds for 4 years now. Some years I have more success than others. I use a fungicide if I see any yellowing of the leaves. I'm kind of paranoid as last year I ended up throwing out most of my gourds because they pretty much stopped growing during the heat of the summer and then started up again when temps. began to cool a bit. Shortly thereafter we had a freeze and I lost most of them. The Texas heat can be tough on the plants from my experience.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 9:59PM
rcgsltx

I forgot to mention, I've read that gourds should be watered in the morning not at night, to cut down on fungus issues and the leaves shouldn't be watered also.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Courge-Fri
Courge-fritter in palm butter are far more healthy...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™