Watermelon

Todd EvansJuly 16, 2009

I planted watermelon for the first time this year as an experiment and it seems to be working splendidly so far.

I have two Crimson Sweet watermelon plants in their own 3x3 raised box. Both are very lush and spreading out further and further each day. Both have multiple melons (6-8) on them ranging in size from a softball down to pea sized.

My first question is if I should discourage the growth of so many melons on each plant? My softball sized melon is just eight inches up the vine from one the size of a baseball, which might be my second biggest. Can one vine support two melons like that?

Also, this box is in a grassy area right next to my main raised garden. The vines are out into the grass (which was the intention) and most of the melons are laying in the grass. Will this be ok for the long term health of the melons or should I get them up off of the ground? If so, what would be the best method to do so?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

I would discourage the growth of more vines and leave the the existing fruits on. Pinch off the tips of vines.(all of them) This way the vines should have more energy for the fruits. Also stop fertilizing them.

I don't see why the vines not to be able to support 2 or more melons. Maybe it is a good idea to pinch of all the female flowers from now on, if there is not enough time for them to grow and ripen.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™