'shenandoah' or 'heavy metal'?

kookykittyJune 2, 2008

Hi all. I'm completely new to gardening and would like some advice. I have a small front yard with a grouping of 4 utilities - one of which is an orange fire-hydrant. I had an in-store consult at my local nursery for help planting something around these utilities. He suggested 1 russian sage, a grouping of 3 Gaillardia Fanfare, and a grouping of 4-5 shenandoah switchgrass.

But I'm not too sure about the strong wine color that shenandoah will get in the fall. I don't know how it will compliment the sage and fanfare. So, I've been thinking about heavy metal switchgrass. But again, I'm not sure how the yellow color will compliment the others in the fall.

Does anybody have any opinions? Or maybe another suggestion? I want dense coverage of up to 4-5ft high. I don't think I want to go much higher than that since it's a really small front yard.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_guy

I really like Shenandoah, but none of the ones I have grown have foliage as tall as Heavy Metal, which will be at least a foot taller. Something to think about if you really want that extra height. In this planting, I'd probably choose Heavy Metal.

Have you considered Calamagrostis Karl Foerster? It will be about 4 ft in foliage and taller in flower. A little fuller looking in seedhead and a good backdrop and compliment to Perovskia.

Remember that this planting will be dormant during winter and not provide year-round hiding of the utilities.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 8:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iog-6

I'm new to this grasses forum but can't help weighing in on this, although you may have already made your plantings. grass-guy makes a great point about these grasses dying back in winter. I would forget about the perennials in the first instance. Some appropriate and strategically placed conifers (most of which are evergreen) in various colors might work nicely. You could then use any grasses you like to compliment your conifers. If this interests you go over to the conifers forum, give them your situation, and ask for conifer cultivar tips. I've just ordered some 'Shenandoah' by the way and am really looking forward to growing it.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™