SRG summer planting, trimming tops?

cactusgardenJune 18, 2011

I think I need to trim back the tops of the Little Bluestem I purchased. I am positive I read once to do this if you are summer planting new O. grasses but would like a second opinion. Seems I read to trim back the tops 1/3 or 2/3 (which?) to encourage thicker plants and stimulate root growth and to take stress off the young plants helping them establish, but cannot remember exactly. These plants have culms on them and look fairly scraggly as a result, but healthy otherwise, with no die off. I am giving them a good watering every day and they are planted in good loam that takes up water well and drains fast.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Some cold season grasses will respond to in-season shearing by sending up new growth. Carex muskingumensis and Festuca glauca are among them.

Warm season grasses, however, like S. scoparium, are finished growing new shoots until next year. The existing shoots will elongate until the plant starts to flower, and if you trim the blades, they will have squared-off blades which will brown at the edges.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My experience is that bluestem will put on a push in its growth in late August and september into its October bloom cycle. I seems like if you trim it a bit, it will have time before it is ready to push out its blossom.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™