Need Ideas for 'Evergreen' ground cover?

gardenlady48(z5 IL)August 9, 2007

Hello,

I'm wanting some type of evergreen, pine, spruce or whatever to cover 2 areas beside my driveway entrance. I don't care for that juniper rug that I see 'everywhere'.....got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Look for Microbiota decussata, also known as Russian or Siberian cypress. It is a true groundcover-type conifer, only growing about a foot tall (and that's being generous) but spreads nicely to cover 5-6 feet. It has a soft, feathery foliage texture and turns color in winter, becoming a bronzy plum color. (Ignore the "dirty brown" comment in the attached link. This plant gets amazing attention in our display garden in midwinter due to its unusual and attractive coloration)

Pines or spruces really are not ideal chioces for a groundcover conifer as few grow low enough or spread enough to be effective. That's why junipers are so popular for this purpose. The Microbiota is a much classier and less common choice. Very hardy as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microbiota decussata

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 11:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rolf_jacobs

I have a commercial property with lots and lots of different kinds of evergreens. I still have to mow between them and I would like to find a way to end this chore. Would it be possible to plant Microbiota between the other trees and simply let it spread to cover the weeds? Would the Microbiota be detrimental in any way to the existing conifers or simply grow around them?

Thanks.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™