Ground cover cloth question?

woco(z6 UT)August 19, 2005

I want to put down some ground cover cloth and plant some bushes in the front of my house. My question is that there are tulips under the ground. Will they come up through the ground cloth or do I need to dig them up? I do not want the tulips to come back. Thanks for your help.

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

The landscape fabric is no longer recommended. It really doesn't help with weeds any more than the mulch does. Often, it causes more problems than it solves.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 6:56PM
barb_in_dc(z7 DC)

You will be very sorry you used this in a year or two. Getting that mess up will not be worth the effort it took to put it down.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 6:18PM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

no, tulips won't come up through the fabric- and killing them off is a shame, so digging them up if you can find a 'foster home' for them is a nice idea (my mother LOVES the tulips that came from my 'new' house)

but landscape fabric is a nightmare- it does nothing to stop weeds caused by windblown seeds, which then drop roots THROUGH the cloth, making pull-out a pest, soft-rooted bushes like azaleas can get shallow feeder roots tangled in it...not to mention that things like earthworms can't get through it either, making something of a mess of the ecosystem.

why BUY something that's less effective than the sunday newspaper that you're just going to throw out- or put in the 'paper recycling' tub at best?

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™