Should I pinch off cucumber and pumpkin flowers?

gardenandlearn(SoCal 10b)July 15, 2014

I have a pumpkin plant and two cucumber plants growing up a trellis, the cucumbers are only about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 feet tall, and the pumpkin is about 4 - 5 feet tall. The pumpkin and cucumbers are putting out flowers and I wanted to know if letting the flowers set will stop their growth or if they will keep growing. Should I pinch them off so the plants can keep growing? I'm not sure what to do. Btw the pic is upside down

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenandlearn(SoCal 10b)

Here is a pic of how they're doing. These cucumbers are growing flowers at the base and I don't want this to stunt growth. If I pinch off the flowers, will new ones grow in their place? Or will these plants keep on flowering and growing at the same time? The variety of cucumber is marketmore 76. I believe it's determinate or semi-determinate.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:03PM
achang89(Z6)

From what I've seen, setting fruits does not stop the plant growth. I've cut off about 3 cucumbers from each plants, and the plants are about 5-6 feet tall now.

Cucumbers are strange plants. If they want to grow, they can grow several inches a day. Or they do not grow at all....

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 3:09PM
gardenandlearn(SoCal 10b)

okay thank you so much I've decided for take your advice and let them be. They've exploded with growth!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™