Mildew on Squash - pics

auntlaineyJuly 7, 2010

I am assuming this is mildew.

Still producing squash. Plants are huge and way too close together.

What can I do to stop it from spreading?

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
samanthab(z5 MA)

I am having the same problem. It's on my summer squash and zucchini plants. Hope someone responds with knowledge!

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:41AM
susancol(7 Atlanta)

Yup, that is powdery mildew. What to do is as follows:
Remove all infected leaves and discard away from plants. Spray with fungicide to retard further growth and spread of the mildew. Continue this process throughout the rest of the plants life. Spraying will have to be repeated after any heavy rain. Prevention is key.

Commercial fungicides are available at the big box stores, just look for one that addresses powdery mildew. I'm trying a Copper based fungicide this year.

For organic measures, there are posts on this site regarding the use of milk based solutions or baking soda based solutions. I tried these last year, and they helped some, but since I'm growing a lot of squash this year, I'm breaking out the bigger guns.

You can search the site for milk or baking soda to find proportions or google powdery mildew and milk or baking soda on the internet.

Good Luck!
Susan

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 1:02PM
trc225

I'm having the same problem with my squash, gourds, and cucumbers. This is my first experience with mildew, so I'm learning as I go. I've been cutting off the leaves that are badly infected and spraying the rest with Organocide. It's an organic mix of oils that I got it at Home Depot. It seems to stop the spread for about a week, then I have to spray again. The plants seem to tolerate it pretty well so far, but I have noticed that my cucumber leaves are speckled. I'm thinking it is probably from the Organocide. However, they are still growing and producing.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™