OT Mocking Bird

happy_girl(Z9 st. cloud)May 14, 2012

I have a key lime tree at the edge of my veg. garden. There is a mocking bird nest in it with 4 eggs. I watched from the time it was empty, saw the first egg & each day after, another egg was added until there was 4 last Thursday. I have never seen the bird & the nest seems to be abandoned. Is this usual? Every time I looked in, I expected to be attacked but it never happened. Do you think the mother will return at this late date?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I would leave it alone. We have a nest in our Camellia out front. I only see it go in there every few days. But, then I'm not constantly watching it. Hopefully, everything's ok. Last Thursday really wasn't that long ago.... I would advise you to stay away from the nest, so the momma bird doesn't abandon it. I wanted to look and see the nest in our Camellia, but I was also afraid of getting pecked!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Birds lay as a rule an egg a day but won't start sitting on the eggs until they are done laying. The eggs in the nest are viable for 10 days or so before they need incubated. Female birds start to sit when a hormone in their brain tells them too and sometimes it just never happens. Sometimes a bird will abandon one nest and start another and lay in it and then start to incubate. If I had to guess your bird is not coming back but you never know and the eggs in that nest are definitely still good.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Lychee tree not producing; do they got too old?
The lychee used to be prolific, but no fruits for at...
stewbrew FL_10b
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Mondays at Leu's
As I mentioned in another post, I went to Leu's for...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™