Infestation of snails in my backyard. Should I be concerned?

bd74May 14, 2013

For the last few months, I've seen lots of these critters stuck on the sides of my outdoor plant pots as well as on the exterior walls of the house.

Are they hazardous to plants, and/or should I be otherwise concerned?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nel5397

I would make sure that they aren't Giant African Snail babies. They eat just about any kind of plant and sometimes they eat stucco to get extra calcium in their diet.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:41PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Diachenous earth (can't spell it!) is made of crushed sea shells. It will kill them if your spread it around on the ground where you see them. It is pricey IMO. Don't use it on a windy day and you should use a mask when you spread it. It can hurt your lungs.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
subtrop(10b)

Have them en mass. And yes, they eat plants, specially young greens. DE should work, they won't cross over it, but it'll be gone after a rainfall. They are a BOTHER when you walk to your car and crush them underfoot.....got me used to always check the ground where I step.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 10:06PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I use snail bait in areas where snails and slugs are a problem. To keep the rain off the bait, I pour a small amount in a plastic cup, turn the cup on its side and let the snails have a party. I empty it when it's full of the little devils.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:57AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I've come to rely on the pelleted bait - I often sprinkle it around new plantings of seeds to keep the slugs & snails from destroying the seedlings before they can take hold. I had a bad infestation of Cuban brown snails a couple of years ago & now they're almost completely gone from my yard.

I buy it @ Home Depot - most garden supply stores should have it - it's iron phosphate & breaks down into fertilizer...

Thinking those in the photo might be tree snails? This article says they are not a pest...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree snails

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 9:56AM
alys_esmond(9b Orlando)

Chickens!

Haven't seen a snail or slug in our backyard since my three girls have been allowed to free range and I was really struggling with them.

DE works, but washes away. The pet-safe snail bait went mouldy. Fireplace ash worked for a while, but looked awful. And, all the while my plants died from snail chewing. Beer bait and other types of traps worked too, but I was really only keeping up, never getting the upper hand.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™