Groundcover for a (sunny) slope?

swervinvolleyerAugust 27, 2012

Hey all! I'm graciously looking for some advice on a couple slopes on my property -- encompassing nearly all of the front boundary of my home (pic attached). The slope running parallel to the street is facing due west. The driveway side is facing north.

I made an attempt with some pachysandra, but it just didn't take. I'm thinking about vinca or hedera helix (which is scattered throughout my landscape -- and VERY under control by me). Would either of these two be able to handle the slope and that sometimes scorching sun? I plan on tilling the area before planting (obviously).

Any other suggestions are most welcome too. Thanks!

P.S. I should also note that I plan on putting in rock stairs with an adjoining wrought iron hand rail next spring -- So I would have a separation up front. Don't believe that matters in terms of cover, but just with quantity ordered.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistascott(7A VA)

The pachysandra likely failed because it was too sunny. Something like moss phlox would look nice and is evergreen. You will have a heavy carpet of flowers in Spring and attractive foliage all year round.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™