Pumpkin dying at roots, grey spots on leaves.

aporathJuly 23, 2010

I have pumpkins that I planted around late May, the plants have been growing great, bigger each day. I have Jack O lanterns, and Big Max. I have about 5 pumpkins per species, I am new to pumpkin growing and don't know what is good or not. I have some pictures of the pumpkins growing and the plant itself, my concerns are I now have grey powdery spots on my plant, (powdery mildew?) if so what do I do? Another thing is while the front of the plants looks healthy and green, the back is slowly dying off. Is this normal? Also, I was wondering if my pumpkins looked well, but I don't know how to post any pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

It is hard to say much without seeing a picture. But it does sound like they are getting powdery mildew. Do you live in a very humid climate? I know that there are fungicides which can be applied. But I do not know how far gone the plants can be and still be saved. You might check at a local garden center, or better yet, your county extension agent.

I have seen the yellowing of older leaves, as you describe. If I recall, when I saw it, the plants were growing in a fair amount of shade. Is this the case in your garden?

Sure hope you get a harvest!

Here, we have had a rough year with pests, extreme heat, and at times, extreme humidity. Every squash I planted, with the exception of those from the c. moschata species, has died without producing.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Sponsored Products
Hand-tufted Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Delray Olivia Beige 3' 2" x 5' 5"
Home Depot
Princess Carriage Toddler Bed - P CARRIAGE TBED
$309.99 | Hayneedle
Burlap Pumpkin Topiary
$34.99 | zulily
Pagoda teal/pumpkin placemats (set of 4)
Origin Crafts
Aptos Drop Table Lamp by Union Street Glass
$600.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™