Realized that Catharanthus roseus isn't hardy like true Vinca

nicerealtor1(z7 HSV AL)September 26, 2005

This spring I bought a hanging basket of what I thought was Vinca Minor. It bloomed glorously all summer in full sun, with a drip emitter keeping it watered. I took several cuttings and after a slow start, they are now beautiful too, and growing quickly and blooming spectacularly light pink. And no deadheading required, as the spent flowers fall right off.

I was all set to take a bunch of cuttings to use this as a groundcover, but I just realized that it's really Catharanthus roseus (Madagascar Periwinkle), hardy only in Zones 9-11. Since Huntsville, AL is in Zone 7, glad I realized this before I put a lot of effort into it.

Guess I'll just have to buy some seeds or buy another basket of it next spring and enjoy it that way next year. Sure wish I could have gotten something long-blooming like this growing as a perenial evergreen groundcover. Any suggestions?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Catharanthus roseus

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

Mine come back from seed. I bought some years ago, and have never needed any more. Sometimes I need to move them, and they transplant well.

Look into Verbena 'Homestead Purple'. Mine blooms most of the summer and is evergreen to boot. It does need good drainage through the winter, though.

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™