Stipa pulcherrima

mdahms1979June 14, 2013

I recently picked up a copy of Planting A New Perspective by Piet Oudolf and Noel Kingsbury. It is a wonderful book. I was immediately compelled to search the internet for a source of seed of Stipa pulcherrima after seeing how incredibly delicate and dramatic it is while flowering. My question concerns hardiness. I am in zone 5b-6 and although the grass was listed as a hardy perennial by the seed vendor I am unsure just how hardy this grass is. I don't believe that many species of Stipa are grown in this zone because we are just slightly too cold.
I hope I don't have to resort to growing this grass in a large pot and keeping it in the cold room during the winter. I think it would be much more affective if it were included right in the landscape vs in a pot.

Is anyone growing this grass? I would love to hear about your experiences with it.

A video I found on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNncQwbJ-cg

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Jelitto sells the seed, and they call it zones 6-9. I haven't grown this one, but I trust them for their accuracy in plant descriptions.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:09PM
donn_(7b-8a)

A dandy alternative to an above-ground container is the pot-in-socket technique.

You bury the socket where you want it, in the garden/landscape. Grow the tender plant in a pot which fits the socket. Pull the pot from the socket for wintering over. Easy-Peasy.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:14PM
mdahms1979

Great suggestion Don. That reminds me of the pot in pot method many nurseries use to grow trees. I think I will probably resort to using this method until I can harvest some seed of my own or divide the plants. Once I have multiple clumps I won't feel so bad if I loose one to a hardiness test.

Mike

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:19PM
donn_(7b-8a)

I use it for annuals, and for growing perennials on.

Use copper-treated spin-out fabric between the two pots, and you'll eliminate a lot of problems with roots growing from the pot through the socket.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™