Fertilizing Pumpkins

mirromereJuly 17, 2012

I was wanting to know what fertilizer should be used for pumpkins. I've heard that fish emulsion can be used, would this be adequate. My plants are pre fruiting stage right now. I've also heard that pumpkins need a lot of phosphorus. Could you give me some advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alishasgardencali916

Fish emulsion has higher levels of nitrogen which pumpkins need lower nitrogen and higher levels of phosphorus. Fish emulsion might be okay to use in the early stages to promote leave, root, and vine growth but afterwards when blossoms are appearing I would stop using something that has so much nitrogen in it and use something that has stronger phosphorus. I used fish emulsion in the very early stages and now morbloom on my fairytale, cinderella, and jack o' latern variety pumpkins which is 0-10-10 and it works well for me. Very healthy plants, or something like 5-15-15 might be ok too. Hope it works out for you!

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alishasgardencali916

I meant to type 5-15-5, 5-nitrogen 15-phosphorus 5-potassium, my soil is also rich in micro nutrients and minerals and they do fine.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™