Replacing grass with ground cover zone 4

jazzygardener(z4 MN)September 26, 2006

I'm planning on replacing my boulevard grass with some type of ground cover next year as I have no use for grass. I'd like to use some type of low maintenance ground cover that will hold up if it does get walked once in a while. Does anyone have any ideas on what I will work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hughjacob

My "alternative lawn" is Prunella Vulgaris, a northwest native herb known as 'self-heal' or 'heal all'. It is a wonderful ground cover, requiring 1/3 the water as grass turf and mowing about very third week. It looks fabulously green in August and stays manicured and lovely instead of looking like a dying meadow like all the other "alternatives" I have seen. I'd be happy to send you a photo if I knew how on this website.

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shapiro(5a Ontario)

Jazzy: I guess the term "boulevard" indicates that it is in full light, right? You really have a huge amount of choice, and it depends on how much moisture your area gets, how tall you want these plants to be, do you wish to have blooms, and so on. For instance, for full sun and light rain, you could do no better than lots of thyme, which will spread. It stays really low and you can get different kinds that bloom purple, pink or white.

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Please help with Bugleweed!
I planted 12 small Chocolate Chip Ajuga that I picked...
bgaviator
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™