Pumpkins not producing female flowers

megleigh11(7)July 22, 2009

Hi everybody, its my first time trying to grow pumkins, and I'm having no luck. The plants sprouted up out of an old pumpkin in my backyard in about mid-May. I am keeping them in potted containers, which I think could be a problem. I fertilize the pumpkins with miracle grow organic fertilizer every week.I have lots of male flowers but no females! The temps have been in the 90s-80s with lows in the 70s-60s, and the plants wilt if I do not water them daily. Could they be too stressed to produce females? Will I have pumpkins by halloween? Any help would really be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

How big are the pots?

Squash and pumpkins need a lot of room for their roots. I wouldn't try to grow one in anything less than a half-barrel.

If you can keep the roots cooler by shading the pots somehow it might help.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:20PM
megleigh11(7)

Thanks! They are not too big. I am planning on planting the pumpkins out in the yard soon.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 1:41PM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Pumpkins don't like to be transplanted.

Except for people who absolutely have to get a start on a short season, direct-seeding them usually does better. And the smaller they are when transplanted the more likely they are to live.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 7:28PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

I'm growing pumpkins this year for the first time, too - and so far have 3 fruit developed. I trellis mine, because the vine grows REALLY long!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardening blog

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 10:10PM
bobboberan

I ran into the same problem after my neighbour was bragging about my vines I have no idea if this helped but after feltilzing fairly heavily and days of non stop rain and watering (very dry climate) they produced 5 more females (3 vines)I am polinating everyday whether the flower is open or not lol one out of the five produced a flower and successfully its producing pumpkin . I'm still waiting on the remainder .

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™