Woodland groundcover ID?

PaulNS(NS zone 6a)September 20, 2005

Does anybody recognize this? It's growing in a sun-dappled forested place beside a new garden patch and I'm wondering whether we should let it stay or take it out. It carpets the ground, sending up 4-5" flower stalks with little pale purple flowers. The stems aren't square. They root where they touch the ground (stolons?) The leaves are opposite...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I'm only guessing it is species of Veronica that I have also. It makes a nice groundcover but the flowers are not especially attractive. There are huge and increasing patches of it here, but I have left it, since it doesn't get very tall and interferes with none of my desired plants.

Bookmark   September 21, 2005 at 10:28PM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

Bogturtle that's what it reminds of too - veronica - but the flower shape is different and that is pretty important in ID I thought. Need to do a closer comparison. I've been searching without success on woodland + groundcover websites. It's a nice plant really but maybe invasive...

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 10:36AM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I never really bothered to get a sample from outside to compare to your photo and cannot swear that it is a Veronica even if I did the comparison. Will do further exploration by contacting New Jersey wildflower site and refer them to your photo. The plant I have is highly invasive, but so short and by the edge of the woods, I don't really care. It is nowhere among my choice plants.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 1:58AM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

Here are more pictures...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/woodland/msg0920500310045.html?2

Here is a link that might be useful: what is it

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™