Brown Rice and Whole Grains

alpharetta(z7 GA)July 21, 2009

I heard they are good for healthy eating. I can find the Brown Rice in Asian groccery store, np. How about the whole grains? What is the specific names and where to buy?

Other question: Has anyone grow Brown Rice or Whole Grains in GA? and How?

Thanks and God blesses!

Alphretta

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llink2

"Whole grain" is a generic term used to apply to any grain that hasn't been stripped of the bran or fiber found in its core. This fiber, along with some nutrients, is what makes whole grains good for you. Any grain - wheat, oats, etc - can be sold as a "whole grain" depending on how it is processed. The trick is to read the food labels and make sure that the ingredients list "whole" grains. Don't simply buy "wheat" bread, for example, the label must say "whole wheat".

I've never tried growing grains at home, and suspect it would be difficult. A good alternative for the home garden, which isn't a grain but which has lots of fiber, is collard greens.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 6:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opal52(z7b GA)

We often prepare recipes using bulgur wheat or barley. Corn and cornmeal are also considered whole grains. I have read a lot about quinoa lately, but haven't tried it yet. You can find these at the Dekalb Farmers Market at reasonable prices. Other whole grains are available there as well. You can usually find whole grains in your local Kroger or Publix, but they can be expensive.

I added a link to a recipe using bulgur which we have prepared many times and always enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulgur Salad With Cherries

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™