drought tollerant stepable ground cover

chambecaSeptember 27, 2009

I've been trying to decide what to plant in my patio and garden path. I've recycled our old driveway into a patio and need a ground cover to fill in between the cracks of the broken concrete. The area faces east and is in full sun in the morning till midafternoon. I've plummed with micro soaker line and have, "not great" but reasonably good soil. The area has it's own valve so I can adjust the watering to suit the plant. Of course the purpose of all this work is to get rid of as much lawn a possible since it takes so much water. So I am looking for something that is not going to need excessive water.

I have to admit that I don't really have a green thumb so my choice needs to be tough, you know the type of plant that you stick in the ground and ignor. And after reading the comments on elfin thyme (which is what I thought would work) I'm re-thinking my idea. Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'm not sure why you'd think Elfin or any other creeping thyme would not work. They are the epitome of low maintenance, drought tolerant, very stepable groundcovers.

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ked1985
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™